General Information for Surplus Lines Agents & Brokers
“Ohio does not have an export list. Except when exempt, insurance cannot be solicited, procured, placed, or renewed with an unauthorized insurer unless a diligent search of the admitted market has been made. A search is considered diligent if the agent or surplus lines broker has contacted at least five of the authorized insurers the agent or surplus lines broker represents that write the kind of insurance required by the insured. If the agent or surplus lines broker does not represent five or more authorized insurers, then they must contact as many authorized insurers as they represent that customarily write the kind of insurance required by the insured.” Click the link to read the full outline, procedures and process for surplus lines agents and broker to comply with ORC 3905.33 (c).
Site: September 05, 2019, | ODI
If you do not use Surplus Lines often there are changes you need to be aware of and how you access the Oho Department of Insurance (ODI) OH|ID Portal system and process.
Oho Department of Insurance (ODI) has transitioned to a new system to maintain and manage user accounts. The Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI) implemented a new portal login process which required accounts to be updated prior to August 2021.
The new system provides access to many resources from various Ohio agencies. Some users will already have an account in the system. Users with an existing account can use that account or create a new one just for accessing ODI resources and applications. They are making every effort to maintain access to existing data previously saved in the applications.
The Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI) is integrated with the new State of Ohio OH|ID portal (OH|ID). This integration will change the process, as well as the website a user logs into to access all ODI secured applications.
When creating a new OH|ID account you have the option to choose your own username in the new system, ODI recommends that you use the same email address you had in the old system.
Below are the steps to follow if you have not updated to the ODI New State of Ohio OH|ID portal OH|ID process:
- If you haven’t created OH|ID and ODI profile yet, please click link to get step by step OH|ID Portal Help | Department of Insurance (ohio.gov) instructions for completing the account creation before proceeding further.
- User IDs that ODI had previously issued, for example SLTAX12345, can no longer be used to access the reporting application.
- The ODI Portal Help instruction guide on creating initial user ID and OHID portal account shows you how to affiliate and match to your agency in the new portal, if you had an account previously.
- Access to the Surplus Lines user guide is a good resource link.
If you need help or have additional questions about OH|ID or need support with your account, you can contact Ohio Department of Insurance at 1-614-387-1503 or email GatewayAdmin@insurance.ohio.gov
Required Surplus Lines Tax Data
The Surplus Lines application allows insurance agents, agencies, and risk retention groups doing business in Ohio to file their Ohio Department of Insurance (ODI)-required surplus lines tax data online. Risk purchasing groups who issue policies with a surplus lines insurer or risk retention group are required to have the reporting done in the name of the agent or agency who sold the business.
If you have your Ohio Department of Insurance State of Ohio OH|ID portal (OH|ID) and need help navigating the required Surplus Lines Tax data. Below is the Surplus Lines user guide.
- If you need help or questions on Surplus lines email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact us at 614-644-2635
- If you need help or have additional questions about OH|ID or need support with your account, you can contact Ohio Department of Insurance at 1-614-387-1503 or email GatewayAdmin@insurance.ohio.gov